Wednesday, January 2, 2013

It's a Wonderful Life!


There's that old saying about whatever you do on New Year's Day, you'll do all year, so I made sure I spent some time sewing yesterday.

A couple of weeks ago, during the busiest time of the holiday season, a new quilt idea popped into my brain.  It was sort of fully developed right from the get-go, but I simply didn't have time to start it at all, so it's been "burning a hole in my pocket" ever since.  I couldn't wait to put my hands on it yesterday, the perfect way to begin my sewing year!

The name of this project is "It's a Wonderful Life" ... because my life really is wonderful.  It's going to be a table topper for my dining room, about 60 inches give or take, to fit that table.  Reds and whites, because the room is red.  The blocks will be twelve traditional pieced 12-inchers, each one chosen because its name celebrates something wonderful :) Twelve because it's that "circle of the year" symbolism for me again, although I'll be finishing this sooner than one a month all year. As I wrote the other day, my dining room is the center of my home, and each time we pass through it we'll see this quilt and be reminded to be grateful for all the gifts the Universe had graced us with. 

I'm starting with a nice assortment of red prints.  The two at the top will be constants,a dark and a light, that will appear in every block and also as borders, etc.
 
The first block is "Home Treasure" because my home is the center of my family.

The second block is "Hearts Entwined" because love holds everything together.

I especially wanted to make up the heart block because it was the test block for the Valentine quilt I'll be making this month for my dear sweet daughter-in-law Jessica.  It was successful, so I can start cutting for that project later today!
 
 
This sewing session fulfills number 6 on my Get it Done list for January so I'm off to a good start!
 
***************  

1 comment:

Angie said...

What a lovely post, Jeanne, and I love the title of your kitchen table quilt, the symbolism, the colors---ALL of it. :D