Friday, January 14, 2022

RSC22: January - red

 Working with red strips and strings this week.  I started with the longest strips and made some classic log cabins.  These ae 12", so I only need 48 blocks to make a comfortable-size lap quilt.


Then I did some rails with the shorter length leftovers.
These are 5" blocks.  No goal in mind, just consuming strips.   

And finally, some 4" squares with the shortest ones.  I'll be using the squares as star centers in 8" sawtooth blocks.

The string stars will be a redo of this RSC stars quilt I made a long time ago.

Enjoy more red scraps at

***************

10 comments:

Linda said...

Lovely red RSC blocks. Coincidentally I made Crumb centred Sawtooth Stars this week.

Sara said...

Your string stars are an awesome use of scraps! Great idea!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love the String Stars design - so pretty!

Ivani said...

Pretty RSC red blocks, Jeanne!

Jenny said...

Great 7se of your strings, love the log cabins and also the idea of string pieced centers for the stars.

Maggie said...

Love the log cabin blocks. Your reds are off to a great start. Have a wonderful day.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Way to work your way through those RED scraps for the RSC!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Red was a great colour choice for January, for sure. Log Cabin is one of my favourite patterns and I've sometimes thought about making one but then I remember I would have to massively increase my stash in order to have enough cottons and the thought goes away in a hurry.

gpc said...

Nice. I like the string stars. I used stars last year and, although they were not exactly blocks to be proud of, I decided to have it quilted anyway for use as a picnic quilt. This year I was thinking of simple 9-patch squares, but I like the rail fence idea, too. So plenty of ideas but somehow, in a massive pile of stash, my reds seem very limited this year.

Susie H said...

Beautiful log cabins. They're going to be fun to play with in all the RSC colors!