Thursday, September 26, 2019

#12 - I Like ...


I like a mug of bean soup for lunch on a cool cloudy autumn day.  I use the classic Senate Navy Bean Soup recipe, and add carrots for extra color and veggie-ness.  This soup freezes well, so I tucked a couple of containers into the freezer this week to enjoy later.  I do a lot of seasonal cooking, and I'm pleased to be circling around into my autumn menus/recipes.

**********
I like Gordon Lightfoot's wonderful music -- let's listen to Canadian Railroad Trilogy today :)   We've seen Gordon Lightfoot in concert a number of times through the years -- his music always strikes a wistful note in my heart.  Many decades ago, we were commuting regularly between Chicago and Minneapolis.  Lightfoot's music was always with us as we drove back and forth  through the Wisconsin northwoods.

**********
I like this new-to-me soap aroma: Acorn Spice.  The scent is warm and woodsy, very autumny!

**********
I like that the new fall season has begun on nighttime TV.  I've been soooo tired of the endless dismal droning of news/current events all summer.  I'm ready for light-hearted entertainment while I do handwork 
in the evening!   

**********
I like this xeriscape garden down at the end of my road. 
 It makes me smile each time I drive past it.

**********



**********

Enjoy more "I Like" blogs at
NOT AFRAID OF COLOR
***************

12 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Oh I love Mrs. Meyer's soaps. I may have to try that one. The xeriscape is fabulous. I am not ready for fall.

NADINE said...

Yummy recipe = I love beans and will have to try that recipe :))

Oh and THAT music = I didn't know it and immediately fell in love, so I up loaded the song as well as quite some more. THANKS, Jeanne xoxo
NADINE

PS : while browsing through you tube songs, I also enjoyed listening to this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45u0kdUgFgo
and Kenny Rodgers " Lucille"

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

We love Gordon Lightfoot at our house, too! The bean soup recipe sounds yummy - I will have to try that. And your Thoreau quote is lovely! Happy Fall!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

What an easy recipe for bean soup! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for that. I am so ready for fall. Enjoy your day. mary

Shannon said...

I love Gordon Lightfoot! I've never gotten to see him in concert, but he was one of my mom's favorites when I was a kid and now he's one of mine. And I also share your love for bean soup. I usually make mine with lentils or pinto beans, and the frozen servings are so nice to heat up as dinner for one after a long day of work. I really like navy beans though so maybe I should use those the next time!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jeanne! Oh, that soup looks and sounds delicious. YUM! And I love that landscape photo at the end of your block. I've been meaning to put in some Russian Sage just for the lovely purple color - I think that's what is pictured. I agree on having the Fall TV season start - I have been tired of the offerings or lack thereof lately. ~smile~ Roseanne

piecefulwendy said...

Oh gosh, I'll have to tog up some Gordon Lightfoot. Haven't listened to him in awhile. We enjoy soups in the fall too, so the Senate Bean Soup sounds enticing. Aren't those fall colors lovely?!

PaintedThread said...

I was never big on soups and even less on bean soups, until recently. Turns out, it's good stuff! The xeriscape is cool. Crooked paths aren't always that bad. :-)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Gordon Lightfoot who was just starting out when he gave a concert at my university when I was a student. He jumped and danced on top of one of the large wooden tables in our dining hall and the top had to be refinished. A bit of a scandal. That was many decades ago and it's hard to believe he's still on the go. But his unique sound and music still resonate. Meanwhile, thanks for reminding me of that Jeanne. And your other things sound like you are welcoming fall. I am too!

Libby in TN said...

Gordon Lightfoot, my heartthrob ...

Robin said...

We lived in Wisconsin for a year and a half and drove that route through the woods to Minneapolis/St. Paul numerous times. It was so beautiful in the fall, I get chills just thinking about the beauty of that part of the country.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Thanks for the Navy Bean soup recipe. I recently discovered white beans is a good source for potassium which is needed in both the Husband's and my diet. Now to find organic navy beans.
Gordon Lighthouse in the background is perfect for blog visiting. :-)