Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Hope's Journey

We enjoyed a couple of stay-at-home days this week, and I was able to make good strides on my Hope's Journey progress -- two chapters this time!

Chapter 5, Independent Women,  discussed strong women of the past.  Then, as now, women often faced daunting challenges as they struggled to find their place in society and make use of their unique talents. 'Conformity was the rule, individuality was not tolerated.'  The blocks in Chapter 5 celebrate the strong women theme, beginning with two options for these subunits:

Old Maid's Ramble
Old Maid's Puzzle
It was interesting to try both ways.
I chose Old Maid's Ramble, just liked it better.

Then we had the choice of Old Maid's Puzzle 

or Double X.  I made one of each.

Chapter 6,  Captivity and Flight, discusses the saga of a woman who was captured by Shawnee in the wilderness.  She eventually managed to escape and be reunited with her husband.

Several blocks based on classic flying geese units were included in this chapter.
Wild Geese

Wild Goose Chase

Rambler

I finally took the time to empty one of my design walls, so I could start locating my very scrappy block assortment and start thinking about color distribution.  I've settled into a red-cheddar-green-blue-brown color scheme, and don't plan to use the other fabric colors suggested in the book.  My layout isn't much to look at yet, but now I can begin to make informed decisions about fabric placement.  I like what's happening so far :)

Click HERE 
to see what Carol has accomplished this week also.

***************

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jeanne, your blocks are turning just beautiful! It’s so exciting to see this quilt progress.