Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Hope's Journey - Chapter 1


I know that a few days before Christmas isn't exactly the best time to begin a brand new quilt project, but I couldn't resist getting started!  This book arrived a week or so ago and it's been calling to me ever since.  Having dutifully finished the other tasks that I needed to get done, I rewarded myself by sneaking in some cutting and piecing time for this: I easily finished the first chapter's blocks for the large version of the Hope's Journey sampler quilt.

The title of Chapter 1 is 'Setting Sail', and the chapter's theme is voyaging to new destinations.  The blocks are Lady of the Lake and Lost Ships, both familiar traditional blocks.  The book uses blue fabrics for both of the blocks, probably because of the water-related names.  The sampler quilt will be scrappy, and I chose to go with blues this time too.

The chapter also has instruction for making a small mat.  I'm looking forward to working on that next week, after the holiday hubbub begins to settle down.  I'll be sewing my way through the book as time and temperament allow -- likely doing more than one chapter a month.   

Carol, a quilting friend who lives in Saskatchewan CA, is also planning to work through the book.  We're going to encourage each other, and invite you to join us on Wednesdays as we undertake


***************

No comments: