Thursday, January 26, 2017

Yankee Diary


Today I puttered with the first installment of 

We will be learning about an actual young girl who grew up during the mid 1800s in upstate New York. Local current events and the Civil War are the background for her history.  Thank you for another interesting study series, Barbara!

We're beginning with an appliqued tulip this month.  This motif is often found in vintage quilts originating in New York, and here it signifies Canandaigua NY -- the place where Carrie, our heroine, grew up.

I decided to test drive the possibility of red backgrounds.
It's fine, but I'm still only 90% committed to this colorway.  A "colors on light neutral background" scheme would be another more traditional possibility.  

Barbara also presented information about slavery in the Northern states during the first half of the 1800s.  Slavery is always a sobering topic.  The block associated with this portion of the lesson is a long strip featuring the word 'LIBERTY'.  Several techniques were suggested, including applique, embroidery and inking.  I'm inclined toward inking, but I'm not sure how that would work on the red background -- so I've decided to wait on the LIBERTY block for a month or two, to see what personality my quilt develops.  

I'm going to enjoy this series!

***************  

No comments: