Wednesday, January 25, 2017

End of an Era



I've decided not to renew my local guild membership for the coming year.  I've come to the point where I was no longer benefitting from the time I was spending with the group.  Membership carried a HUGE load of social expectation, but involved very little actual quilting -- and when quilt-making did happen, it was not of the skill level or style that interested me. 

I was a very active guild member for a number of years, and always held multiple Board and committee positions at the same time, trying to instill energy into the organization, and to set an example.  But I no longer share common goals with the group, and the time has come for me to direct my attention elsewhere.  This separation is coupled with the decision I made last fall to retire from working at the LQS. 

These days I'm thoroughly enjoying working on the projects of my own choice at my own pace, instead of having my time filled with activities I'm obligated to participate in.  It was a carefully considered decision, and I feel UNBURDENED!!

***************

3 comments:

Kate said...

Well done Jeanne! Enjoy doing your own thing.

Marianne said...

I've been quilting since 1992 and have never joined a guild for the exact reasons you list for leaving yours! Enjoy your freedom!

Paula, the quilter said...

I, too, have given up membership in the local guild. Since I still work part time, it was actually quite easy when they moved the meeting time from night to day. Soon, I think I'll be retiring from my part-time job as well.