Saturday, March 19, 2011
A National Quilting Day whimsy
I purchased a bag of miscellaneous block pieces at a rummage sale last summer for $1.50. It caught my eye because I could see vintage-style fabrics in the bag.
When I got them home and spread them out, I discovered that quite a few of the colored pieces were actually OLD -- circa 1930s-1940s fabrics, template-cut arcs, not just repros. Someone had attempted to assemble them using a much more modern ivory tone-on-tone background. There were only four fully-sewn blocks, and some additional background pieces, but not enough to make twelve more blocks. The more recent maker had apparently given up on the project, maybe because of the curved seams, which weren't very successful. (!) I'm guessing that she'd obtained the already-cut arcs somewhere along the way and tried to use them, but wasn't satisfied with her progress.
So the bag has been aging in my stash for a while. I got it out and counted up what was there: the already sewn parts ... the pieces cut with enough to assemble more blocks... and the leftover bits not enough to make more full blocks. I decided to work the piecing up to sixteen blocks, using unbleached muslin for background this time. Today I got to the point of adding a red stop border to emphasize the red diamonds in the blocks -- it's also taming those stretchy curved sections. I'm going to pick apart the remaining partially sewn arcs and use the fabrics in a border somehow, because I don't want to waste any of the vintage fabric.
Kinda fun to think that I'm at least the third person to work with these fabrics. Maybe this time they'll actually become a quilt :)