Sunday, June 4, 2023

Herbarium

I had a quiet day to myself and got a good solid start with HERBARIUM, Barbara Brackman's 2023 applique BOM. I'm several months behind as I belatedly begin this series, but I'm enthusiastic about catching up.

The quilt we'll be working on is inspired by a collection of eight appliqued sampler quilts from the mid 1800s.  The corresponding articles will discuss schoolgirls' education of that era, and in particular will highlight botany and nature study as an essential curriculum for young ladies of the time.  Each month a botanist or teacher or plant collector will be featured.  The research and writing that Barbara does for her articles is always fascinating, and this series is no exception!

The original antique quilts were all done in a similar red and green color scheme, but I've decided to use a variety of 'wildflower' colors for my palette.  

The name of this first block was taken from a bit of antique embroidery.  Another common name for this classic appliqued block is Wreath of Roses, so wild roses were my block inspiration.

Pink roses symbolize happiness.

***************

1 comment:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm going to really enjoy seeing this evolve as you work on it. You're giving it a more modern 'take' by using different colours.