Saturday, February 4, 2023

RSC23: February - pink


New month -- new color!  I'm pleased with pink as the February challenge color, cheerier than January's dark blue.

To get the ball rolling, here are some recent Grandmother's Choice blocks which include pink parts.  These are just a few of the blocks I've been piecing using the bright springy fabrics I pulled out last week for an Eastertime project.  This block set is off to a good start!


Next, I skimmed a pile of 1800s-style pink scraps and FQs off the top of my overflowing pink storage tub and started cutting them down into 5" squares.  They will become 'nickel' quilts eventually, design yet to be selected from a Pat Speth book.   This is how I began RSC last month too, making the fabric pieces smaller and more approachable. 😏  In particular, I'll be trying to reduce the excessive amount of 1800s/Civil War-style fabric in my stash throughout this year.   
 

As far as actually consuming pink scraps, when I cut the bigger squares I also end up with 2 1/2" squares and 1 1/2" strips.  This week the strips inspired me to work on some log cabin blocks.  I'll be aiming for 24 blocks total here.

Enjoy more pink at

***************

3 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Blue is my favourite colour so I loved the colours you used in January. Pink is my least favourite so I rarely work with it but I have a suspicion that now I have a little girl in the family I might just have to.
Log cabin quilts are one of my favourites too so I like what you're doing.

Astrid said...

Pretty pink! Love your Grandmother's Choice blocks, so bright and cheerful. Pretty Civil War fabric and log cabin. Thank you for your comment on my blog! (I'm a follower from today).

The Joyful Quilter said...

PINK bits here and there. Have fun making an attempt at using them up!!