Friday, January 21, 2022

RSC22: January - red

I'm trying a new block this year for RSC -- here's an inspiration photo for a 'pennants' quilt.  I'll be calling my version 'prayer flags' because the world needs all the prayers it can get. (!!!) 
 

I'll be using up tiny odd scraps to create fabric large enough to accommodate the triangles.  I'm using a Tri Recs template that I already had, and a white-on-white background, yardage from my stash. My blocks will be 6". 
 

My goal is approximately108 blocks (for a 9 x 12 layout), or whenever the background fabric runs out. I'm not going to start connecting the triangles into rows until I get some color variety. 

Enjoy more RED inspiration at 


***************

7 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I really like this design - and the prayer aspect of it of course. Adding another element of interest is that you're using little scraps of fabrics to create the flags. I think my interest in crazy quilting is drawn to that. Looking forward to watching this one evolve!

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE the Crumb-y RED triangles!! What a fun quilt that will be.

Char said...

Great idea and you are right the world needs lots of prayers right now!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a fun way to use up your crumb pieces! That's going to make a beautiful and meaningful quilt.

Vivian said...

Prayer Pennants out of Crumby bits are a good idea! I also love when we're able to use a tool at hand.

Your task reminds me of a poem:
"Little bits of fabric sewn into a quilt,
Form a warm and loving blanket from which memories are
built,
And when you seek peace and comfort in the quiet of the
night,
It will keep you warm and snug until the morning's light."
---Sue Mullane of AZ submitted to QNM magazine in 1996

May the sewing of those pennants bring you peace and spread it when you display the finished quilt!

compusword said...

Jeanne, I am a severe scrapaholic, so your process of making new fabric to cut the Tri-Rec shapes is just what I do. Love the way your RSC is taking shape. Liz in Houston

Kat Scribner said...

Very inventive! I love it when someone thinks outside the box. Your quilt design will be so much fun. Good for you.