Sunday, January 3, 2021

Settling In to the New Year

I've been developing plans for my quilt-making year. Yesterday was a good mail day!  Two packages arrived  -- I'd been hopefully looking forward to both of them. 

The first package was the background yardage for my very-long-term Celestial Dream applique project -- many yards of blue skies!  This is a medallion-style quilt,  and the first phase will be the large center sunshine motif.  Now that I have the blues, I can begin choosing yellow fabrics for the sun.

I also received two new patterns that I plan to work on as the year goes along. Both are complex pieced quilts, and both are shown in vivid color palettes.  Brightness seems to be the focus of my creative attention is these days. 

 I will probably start Boho Heart first.  It's a Jen Kingwell pattern,  and I really enjoyed doing her Gypsy Wife, Steampunk, and Long Time Gone quilts in previous years.  Following her patterns is like solving a puzzle -- lots of looking at the picture and figuring out what is supposed to go where.  The intricate piecing will be a good change of pace from the sunshine-y applique.

In addition to the long-term projects,  I'll continue to work on quick activities which will be targeted toward making donation quilts.  I'll use my own Rainbow Connection color of choice and/or the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2021 color of the month for these efforts.  For January, both assigned colors are coincidently pink, so that must be the universe telling me that I need to finish up that raspberry top I pieced before Christmas, rather than let it turn into a UFO.  ðŸ˜‰

And I'm still puttering along with embroidery during evening TV time.  Lots to keep me occupied in the coming months!

*************** 

3 comments:

NADINE said...

Isn't it lovely, getting some quilty packages ? :) Enjoy, Jeanne ! Amazingly, I ordered my own copy of "Celestial Dreams" last week on Etsy. I guess it's gonna take some more days, all the way to Belgium, but I'm starting sorting out my fabrics...

xoxo
Nadine

Robin said...

Celestial Dreams is an amazing quilt. I'm going to enjoy watching that one come together. Starting new projects at the beginning of the new year always feels so refreshing. Beautiful fabric colors.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I am so looking forward to seeing your Celestial quilt evolve and that heart project looks like fun too. I can see wanting to work with bright colors right now because they're a definite mood lifter and we all need that these days.