Friday, October 2, 2020

Turning over a new leaf ...

... or a new palm frond, in this case.

Well, I must say: our recent move has taken a lot out of me.  To begin with, we were not at all enthusiastic about relocating -- it was done for practical reasons, for family reasons, but emotionally it was very difficult.  It all happened so quickly, and the red house has already been sold.  And physically, it was a HUGE amount of work in a short time.  An additional stress factor was a massive wildfire threatening the mountain communities at exactly the time we were packing and loading.  In fact, we were under evacuation notice the day the moving van came up the mountain to load our furniture, and we felt fortunate that they got the job done.    

This new little house is nice, but so entirely different from the old one.  My things don't seem to fit here spiritually, but maybe eventually it'll all settle in.   And the climate here is just about as opposite as it can be from the high mountains -- it's tropical and humid, just a stone's throw from the ocean, so we get socked with the marine layer fog every night.  I'm yearning for cold dry bright weather and golden aspen leaves, but I have palm trees and plumeria and pomegranates now.  It's also very urban and lively here, as opposed to the silence and solitude we were accustomed to up there in the forest.  Sigh.  

In any case, we are safe and comfortable, if not entirely at ease, and are just a few minutes away from family.  Lorenzo and Lucci come over to visit Grandpa and Grandma almost every day.  So: onward with life.

**********
I haven't done anything quilt-related for many weeks.  I have been stitching along now and then on this quirky Red Stripe Sampler, just to keep a spark of needlework creativity glimmering in my spirit.  I do miss working with colors and fabrics though, and I'm going to look for a new project to get myself going again.
 

***************

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I'm new here, but want to say that I really like this lively piece! A little cloth party! We did a big move 2-2019 and even though it was right down the street, it has taken some time to settle in! Take care.