Saturday, October 17, 2020

Stitch Club - October

This month's topic at Stitch Club was embellishing printed fabrics.  Techniques such as broderie perse and crazy quilt patchwork were included.

Hand embroidery work has been a soothing pastime for me recently, so I was interested in exploring an October project.  I found a nice fat quarter that featured a moth motif and some surrounding floral designs that seemed like a promising place to start.  I wasn't sure what parts of the fabric I wanted to use, so I cut around one entire repeat of the print, thinking I could trim it down later when things were more defined.  But as soon as I cut into the fabric, the moth and flowers were no longer what I saw.

 Here's where I began:

And here's where I ended up:
My project became a calavera, a representation of a Mexican sugar skull for

I'm calling her Clara, 
after Clare of Assisi, patron saint of needleworkers.  She is keeping watch over my sewing room.

***************

No comments: