Monday, August 10, 2020

That was then, this is now


Such pleasant memories!  A year ago at this time I was in Winterset, Iowa, thoroughly enjoying myself.  We were driving across the country and looking forward to meeting new granddaughter Rhiannon in Boston very soon afterward.

It's not likely we'll get to see her this year.  I'm soooo grateful for technology that permits us to "visit" her from here!  The world is so very strange now.  The epidemic, the economy,  and the upcoming election are all making life extremely confusing, and I'm not confident that things will improve much any time soon.  I worry a lot these days.

I'm going to spend some time working in the garden this morning, to soothe my soul.  Gardening always feels hopeful, because it looks ahead to the next season, to change.  Maybe it'll help my spirit today.  Sigh. 

***************

4 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I know exactly how you feel. We have a 3 year old grandson that lives nearly 4000 miles away and now he has a baby brother that we have yet to meet. It's so hard to know that it's the last baby that will enter our family and not be able to hold him and get those amazing baby cuddles. It's good we have technology but it's just not the same. I try not to dwell on it but it's hard to not only see the little ones but also our son (and our daughter-in-love too). Thank goodness we have things to occupy us or we'd be sad all the time. Take care of you.

Julierose said...

I agree with you gals; I haven't seen my children or grands since last Christmas and one zoom event..[happy for that, but really, it just brought home how solitary we've had to become and just made me sad...].

I feel very lucky to have Tom here with me...I canNOT imagine how difficult it must be if you live alone..
.
We are staying the course of vigilance; masking and gloving; and social distancing...last year seems but a dream now...

Thanks heavens we have our blog friendships to keep us going...
Hugs from afar Julierose

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It is disheartening to compare one year from another, especially when you are missing your family you saw at the same time last year. I do hope the gardening soothes your soul, and you can touch base with your family virtually.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It has been a difficult and unsettling year for so many reasons. We are in the same boat as you and so many others of our age group - missing our family and trying to make the best of it! Definitely glad we have technology to help stay connected.