Thursday, March 21, 2019

Thursday


My blue stash drawers have been overflowing to the point of pieces falling out onto the floor.  So as I was trying to tidy up, I was inspired to pull a nice assortment of blues -- darks, mediums, lights and backgrounds.  One thing led to another, and I also gathered up some tans/browns that included blues in their designs.
I'm going to use the fabrics I chose to piece a collection of blue and tan star blocks, and to create a mosaic-style sampler quilt.  (Not sure if mosaic-style is the right term, what I mean is a sampler with many different size blocks.  Think Gypsy Wife or Hope's Journey.)  I have tons more fabric available that can be added as needed -- this basketfull is just to get me going.
No pattern involved -- I'll just be choosing blocks as the spirit moves me.  These publications are my go-to sources for cutting pieced blocks, although inspirations from other books and websites are fair game as well.

Clockwise from upper left: Aunt Dinah, Hearth and Home, Square and Star, Woven Star
I'll be aiming for approximately 60" x 75" with this project, but the size isn't chiseled in stone -- it's just a general goal at this point.  This is my favorite kind of quilt: a zillion different fabrics creating traditional pieced blocks.  Should keep me busy for a while!

***************  

4 comments:

Libby in TN said...

My kind of quilt! I really like the woven star.

TakeMeThereTotes said...

Great plan. I call that serendipity quilting! I do that a lot! I am a new reader to your blog. I am enjoying your posts,

TakeMeThereTotes said...

I call that serendipity quilting! I do that a lot. I am a new reader to your blog. I am enjoying yours posts.

Auntie Em said...

I love your fabric combination, and the blocks you have so far.