Monday, February 18, 2019

Hospital Sketches

Barbara Brackman's applique sew-along

#1 - Periwinkle Wreath

This first block, named Periwinkle Wreath, is a variation on a classic applique design.  It was inspired by Louisa May Alcott's nursing work and subsequent writings regarding the Civil War, which she published under the pen name of Trib Periwinkle.   Lots of other interesting information presented in this month's article also -- Barbara always does such great research!
Here is the original version of Block #1.  I've stayed pretty true to the pattern.

I'll just start by saying that I'm not-great-at and very-sloooow-with prepared edge applique.  I've chosen to do this project using the freezer paper and starch method for turning the edges.  It gives a nice crisp edge to each shape, but takes a while.  (And that's in addition to my own slow pace.)  It's not likely that I'll keep up and have each block finished before the next one is presented.  I'm using the same soft tone-on-tone ivory for all the backgrounds.  The blocks will finish at 18" square.  My palette will be 'dusty/summery' which is a departure from the 1800s repros I usually use for Brackman projects.  Everything here is prepped, glued down and ready to be stitched.

I'm pleased -- I think this is a pretty block!
So far, so good …

***************

2 comments:

Libby in TN said...

It may take you a while, but it always looks great! I like the freezer paper/starch method, too, but I really like the freezer paper on top/cutaway/needle turn method for big pieces. However, with my crampy hands I probably won't be doing any of it any time soon ...

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

You did a great job! Your block is so pretty!