Sunday, January 26, 2014

Threads of Memory

Block 1: Portsmouth Star
 
I decided to sew along with
The first block and accompanying historical article were released yesterday.  I enjoyed learning about George Washington's slave, Ona Staines.  Barbara's articles are always interesting, informative, and well-documented.
 
Since I have heaps of green fabric pulled out for my Home Circle project, it was easy to choose a few greens for this first block.  The sample quilt for Threads of Memory features flying geese sashing, but I might do an on-point set with alternate blocks of the green stripe fabric -- I have quite a bit of it, and it's been aging in my stash for **several** years.  And since this is a one-block-a-month project, I have until next January to decide :)    
 
And for all you sew-along fans, Barbara Brackman has just announced that she will be offering another sampler project beginning later this spring.  This next series will be based on Jane Austen and early 1800s England. Watch Barbara's new blog in April for
 
***************