Friday, October 1, 2010

Some October ...

Some October, when the leaves turn gold, ask
me if I've done enough to deserve this life
I've been given. A pile of sorrows, yes, but joy
enough to unbalance the equation.

When the sky turns blue as the robes of heaven,
ask me if I've made a difference.
The road winds through the copper-colored woods;
no one sees around the bend.

Today, the wind poured out of Canada,
a river in flood, bringing down the brilliant leaves,
broken sticks and twigs, deserted nests.
Go where the current takes you.

Some twilight, when the clouds stream in from the west
like the breath of God, ask me again.

Barbara Crooker,
Originally published in Borderlands:
The Texas Poetry Review

***************

2 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

Beautiful poem. Thanks so much for sharing it. You made my morning.

Alice said...

Ah fall! It is indeed a beauty to behold. Thanks for making me count my blessings today.