Saturday, May 29, 2010

A new toy

It's flea market/garage sale weekend here in Bear Valley -- I mean HUNDREDS of sales, up and down every road. We spent a while both yesterday and today browsing around, and came home with the usual assortment of small treasures ... and this happy discovery. It's a reconditioned Singer machine from 1930 (instruction booklet with the machine!) and it just purrrrrrs! Only $40, and I'm delighted :)

I cleaned it a little and set it up with a needle and top thread -- the original bobbin was inside and full -- and the stitch tension is perfect. The case is a little worn at the corners, but this will be fun to take to workshops. This makes vintage machine #4 -- the others are treadles and none of them are in working condition.

Tony was successful, too. He found a really nice brand-new very inexpensive bag for his golf clubs -- so we're both looking forward to leisure time this summer.

(Haha, yes those are my replacement tomato plants behind the machine on the table. The first ones froze last week during that snow, and we lost all of them. I'm afraid to plant these outside -- we're still hovering just around freezing at night.)

***************

5 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh what a beauty!!!!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Sounds like a good day for the both of you! Definately a good find on your sewing machine! I just blogged about my main sewing machine - also an old machine, but not as old as yours. But they sure do sew like a charm, don't they? Cheers! Evelyn

sewprimitive karen said...

That's a pretty machine, Jeanne!

Clare said...

You've found a real gem there.

Yard sales are the best. I get most of my plaid fabrics from them.

Best of luck with the tomatoes. I've just planted mine out, interspersed with Marigolds to keep the pests at bay, only to discover that the slugs love them! The veg patch is now blue with pellets.

Texan said...

What a find!!!! Lovely machine!!