Friday, January 24, 2020

RSC20: January - green Aura


Here is my final RSC project for each month of 2020.  This one is not a scrap/leftover project but rather a planned rainbow quilt which will use stash fabric in the challenge color of the month.  I'm working with a pattern by Alison Glass called AURA.
I'm aiming for an arrangement of light to dark and warm to cool, and limiting myself to fabric I have on hand -- no new purchases.  

And the big challenge is that this is a paper-pieced design.  In the long-ago past, I tried paper-piecing a couple of times, but I wasn't keen on it.  I never went back to it until now.  It is still very confusing and difficult for me -- I'm hoping if I do these same sections enough times over and over, the lightbulb in my brain will finally flash on.  But meanwhile I am reinventing the wheel every time.  I'm counting it as a skill-builder for 2020, a personal growth opportunity :)
  
So here is my first row of AURA, in this month's RSC challenge color, green.  Can't wait to find out what our February color will be!

Enjoy more green at

***************

11 comments:

NADINE said...

Oh, WOW, Jeanne, this one is amazing ! I can't wait seeing it grow :)
Aaah, paper piecing… I never could figure it out. Just feels like going reverse with my car : I'm mixing all my movements, Ha !
Keep going, my friend, I'm sure you'll master it, you're much more perseverant than I am :)

Happy weekend !
xoxo
Nadine

LA Paylor said...

I couldn't love paper piecing more. Your pattern is striking and dramatic. what a grand idea!

Robin said...

What a great idea for RSC. This is going to be a beautiful quilt. Your green row looks great. Looks like you've got a handle on paper piecing.

works4me said...

This is going to be a gorgeous quilt. I am glad you gave paper piecing another try.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's going to be gorgeous, Jeanne! It looks like you mastered that paper-piecing with the first row. Definitely, doing the same block multiple times will help!

The Joyful Quilter said...

From the pattern, I had NO IDEA where the blocks were! Thanks for sharing your completed row. Just so you don't feel like you're alone, I have never been a big fan of paper-piecing, either. Judging by that row, you ROCK at it!

Jenny said...

This is going to be amazing, well done for persevering with foundation piecing. Looks like you nailed it! I'm starting a foundation pieced RSC project too, and trying to get my head around it!

Mari said...

Oh, wow! That's going to be an amazing quilt. As for paper piecing, I love it for pictorial blocks I couldn't do any other way, but I do agree that it's pretty fussy. But great results!

Julie in GA said...

What a great choice for an RSC project! Your first blocks look great, can't wait to see more next month. I'm sure the foundation piecing will get easier as you keep going.

Jennifer said...

What a great project you've picked for your RSC - it is really striking. I love to paper piece and learned from the best - Carol Doak - if you can find a class or a book with her approach, you might find it comes a little more naturally. Enjoy the oranges!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

That pattern reminds me of the Northern lights - looking forward to seeing what you create. For some reason I don't have much problem with paper piecing but that could be because I do so much crazy quilting.