Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Warm Hearts


I've been considering several possibilities for new starts this month, and one of them has finally worked its way to the top of the list.

WARM HEARTS
This is the eponymous title quilt from a very old Blackbird Designs book, copyright 2001.  I have every single Blackbird Designs book ever published, dating back to the 1990s.  I've made many of their quilts throughout the years, and many more of them are still on my quilty bucket list.  I've decided to get going on this one because we're going to be doing some travelling in the coming months, and I want to have handwork prepped as a carry-along.   

BIG fabric pull today!  The original quilt was done on tan backgrounds, with red urns and blossoms, and green stems and leaves.  I'm going to use black backgrounds for my version, with red urns, gold blossoms, and green foliage.  As always, I'll work with a scrappy variety of each color.  This is my beginning fabric array, subject to change as things get going.   
I'm going to use the "trace the shapes onto the front of the fabric and needle-turn as I hand stitch" technique for this applique project -- no prepared edges.  This should give me an informal folk-art result.  The shapes are large and stylized and organic, not realistic or balanced, so I think the casual approach will work.  

I'm off to begin prepping Block 1: I'm excited to be starting a major new project!  And I also have a couple of new pieced projects still being considered :) 

***************

5 comments:

julieQ said...

I am excited to see your progress!! Whoop!! Isn't it fun to start something new?

Robin said...

I love this! I have never seen this pattern before. It's going to beautiful with the black backgrounds. I have done a few of the Blackbird Designs quilts too and absolutely love them. I have a UFO of one from the book When the Cold Wind Blows. I think it's called "Love Letters". I'm trying to finish up a hexie UFO before I get back to it. I absolutely love the fabric that I have for that project. (Swoon) I don't know why I've let it languish for so long. It's going to fun to watch your progress. Your fabric pull is beautiful.

Libby in TN said...

Looks like it's right up your alley. I like the idea of a black background. I do best with the cutaway technique where you only cut a few inches ahead of your stitches.

Deb said...

I absolutely love BBD and have a good collection of their books and patterns as well! You have a great start to a vacation worth travelling when you are able to bring a very inspirational project with you! I am enthusiastic for you and look forward to seeing posts on your progress as well as your travelling adventure. Oh I am just so excited for you! I have done a couple of their quilts but like you have many more in mind!

Karen said...

I remember this quilt design. I no longer have the book even though it was a good one. Enjoy making it.