Sunday, December 9, 2018

A new start


Because I've done pretty well the past few months wrapping up several UFOs, I'm treating myself to a brand new long-term project ! 

I've had "appliqued bird quilt" on my bucket list for a very long time.  My original inspiration was Birds of a Feather, a Blackbird Designs book that was published in 2006.  Blackbird Designs came out with another lovely bird quilt in their 2012 book, In the Meadow.  I've had both of these books since they were published, so I've been brewing on this for quite a while.



 I used to do more hand applique -- like ten years ago or more -- although for various re
asons I got away from it.  But it seems that now is the right moment for me to explore this idea.  I'll be doing my own interpretation rather than reproducing either of the Blackbird patterns … but leaning heavily on them both for inspiration and shapes.  I got my first few blocks prepped, and am looking forward to spending winter evenings stitching and embellishing.
Because I expect this to be an ongoing project, 
I'm going to start linking to


***************

7 comments:

Libby in TN said...

That's going to be a fun one! We are under a winter weather watch here through noon tomorrow. Our house won't have nearly the charm in the snow that yours does.

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh how fabulous! Thanks for linking up so we can watch your progress!

Suzanne said...

The blocks look like they are going to be so lovely. I love staying in and stitching during the Winter.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I look forward to seeing your progress each week as the birds come to life

Julierose said...

I do love their patterns--I also will be looking forward to seeing your blocks come together...hugs, Julierose

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I think I could have written this post--lol! I also have both books and have wanted to make one of the bird motif quilts for years but it just hasn't worked out. You are making a lot more progress than I am!

Quiltsmiles said...

Sounds realistic and relaxing. I'll be watching from the northeastern part of NY.

Merry Christmas.