Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11

The holiest of all holidays are those
Kept by ourselves in silence and apart,
The secret anniversaries of the heart ...

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow~

**********
I didn't know I'd wake up feeling sad this morning. Life has been so busy and full recently, this anniversary sort of snuck up on me. While today we are all remembering the 9/11 attacks, I'm also marking the passing of another year since I was undergoing radiation treatments for breast cancer. It was my final week of treatment -- a real uphill battle -- and I had to tear myself away from the horror on TV that day and go attend my own personal horror. I think each of these incomprehensible things was reflected and magnified by the other inside of me. I couldn't understand either thing.

The two events are forever connected in my soul: the time that the world's sensibility changed, and the time that my spirit changed. It took me more than a year to get past the overwhelming sense of helplessness and sadness.

Life has had many ups and downs in the intervening eight years. Time keeps spiralling onward. I'm in a good place now, physically, mentally, and spiritually.

Be happy TODAY.

**********
1. Never obey anyone's command unless it is coming from within you also.
2. There is no God other than life itself.
3. Truth is within you, do not search for it elsewhere.
4. Love is prayer.
5. Life is now and here.
6. Live wakefully.
7. Do not swim – float.
8. Die each moment so that you can be new each moment.
9. Do not search. That which is, is. Stop and see.

~ Osho (Acharya Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh)~


********************

6 comments:

Unknown said...

A day for celebration of your survival as well as remembrance - we've had an odd one too. Nick has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes this afternoon and is hospitalised for the next few days until a stable regime is set up - a steep learning curve ahead. He was happy for us to come home overnight to get some sleep but I'll be back first thing in the morning - better get some handstitching sorted

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wow - what a post! Thank you so much for sharing. I am going to print out the meditation.

Bonnie said...

Oh Jeanne, I did not know that you had had breast cancer - but eight years out is something to celebrate! My dearest soulmate and cousin is five years out from breast cancer and I am very grateful to hear each year that she is still cancer free. Your meditations are great and I especially like the "Live wakefully". Not always easy to do, but so important. To be aware and grateful is so important. Wishing you the best............. Bonnie

QuiltingFitzy said...

It's one of those days that we'll always remember "what we were doing when...", each with our own story.

I'm glad you've a silver lining. Many hugs darlin'.

Vicky said...

I was thinking of Mom and how she was always sad on December 7th. As a youngster I couldn't understand it, but now I do. Thank you for a wonderfully reflective post.

Meggie said...

Huge hugs Jeanne.XX