Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Lammas and Back to School


The beginning of August marks a couple of calendar events that I like to observe.
Lammas, the traditional First Harvest holiday, is a good time to reflect back on the previous year and consider what we are "harvesting."  My scary medical experience earlier this year has definitely given me a change of perspective -- I'm making a deliberate effort now to live in today, and not to assume that the future will always be waiting for me.  

And August 1 is back-to-school day here in Bear Valley.  When I was a child, the start of the new school year was always a time of exciting beginnings and seemingly infinite possibilities.  It literally marked the start of a New Year.

Since my birthday will be coming up in a few days, the combination of both these events gives me a chance to stop and think, and to put some perspective on my life.   So many 'pasts' have already been harvested, and so many less 'New Years' to yet come.  I'm getting old. 

*************** 

2 comments:

julieQ said...

I think we are close to the same age, and my birthday is coming up too!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I hope you have a happy birthday! It does help to have that kind of perspective, although perhaps it would have been nice to get it in an easier way.