Sunday, March 16, 2014

A new inspiration ...

I'm anxiously awaiting the first installment of Barbara Brackman's latest block-of-the-week series, Austen Family Album

This project will begin in April and will run until the end of the year.  Barbara will be offering thirty-six 12" blocks, all pieced, along with articles about Regency-era England and Jane Austen's family and life.   I've been rereading Jane Austen's novels this winter to get myself primed for the quilt series.

We're beginning to consider color palettes for the project, and I've pulled some era-appropriate chintzes and coordinating prints from my stash.  My fabric choices will undoubtedly be tweaked as I go along, but in general I'm aiming for a tea-dyed vintage look, hopefully reminiscent of some of these period quilts.



 
Medallion style settings were common in the early 1800s, so I may incorporate a broderie perse medallion as my center block.  One of the reasons I'm excited about this project is that I'm just doing it for the fun of it.  Most of the time I make quilts for some certain purpose, with a time deadline -- but this time I'm going for "process" rather than "product"! 
 
 
Aaah, beautiful borderie perse inspirations
 here and here
 
***************

1 comment:

Auntie Em said...

How did I miss this? I'm very glad you posted about it. Thanks for the link!