Friday, December 20, 2013

Crazy Quilt Journal Project 2014

Recently, I've begun designing, collecting fabrics, and getting organized for a new project I plan to undertake next year: a crazy quilt for  CQJP2014.  The project's guidelines involve sharing embroidered and embellished blocks once a month.
 
The quilt I'm hoping to create will be based on the "Pretty Bird" embroidery series, which appeared in the Detroit Free Press in 1924.  The embroidery patterns were offered under the name of Ruby Short McKim, a well-known quilt designer from the Depression era.
 
 
I've selected twelve of the twenty-four bird designs to include in my project, having chosen birds that live here in my area.  Each of my monthly crazy-quilt blocks will feature an embroidered bird along with coordinating fabrics and embellishment.  Additionally, I'm planning that my block themes will be seasonal -- robins nesting in springtime, etc.
 
 
I'm looking forward to the challenge of an ongoing large-scope handwork project.  Watch for my first block, the Jay, sometime in January.
 
***************

4 comments:

Jennie in GA said...

I have an antique quilt made by the bird pattern. I love it! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Jennie in GA said...

I have an antique quilt made by the bird pattern that I love. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Looks like you are already off to a good start! Did you ever have the Mother West Wind books by Thornton Burgess? There is a story in there about how the blue jay used to be brown and had a beautiful song, but he stole all the other birds food so Mother West Wind turned him bright blue so the other animals could see the thief coming and changed his song to just say, "thief, thief, thief". I always loved those stories and whenever I see a blue jay grabbing up all the food at the bird feeding and screaming "thief", it makes me smile! Cheers! Evelyn

Melanie said...

This is going to be awesome...