Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year

What the new year will bring, we cannot know.  I think of the year that has been, folded away in time.  There has been much good in it, although some sorrow.  But there are always, in any year, many lovely memories, and I shall cherish them.  Life is not, for most of us, a pageant of splendor but is made up of many small things, rather like an old-fashioned piecework quilt.

As the clock moves irrevocably from yesterday to today, I go out on the terrace and fill my heart with the intensity of the winter moonlight.  This is the time when the heart is at peace and the spirit rests.  Silently I say, "Happy New Year to all of us, all over this turning earth.  And may we make it a year of loving-kindness and gentle hearts."

Gladys Taber, Stillmeadow Calendar

***************

No comments: